The Origin of Term “Virtual Reality”
Virtual Reality came into existence merely as an experiment conducted by a computer scientist named Mr. Michael McFreevy in 1984. His intention was to make some advancement in the domain of HCI (Human-Computer interface). HCI is considered to be the most dominating factor in terms of researches carried out in the domain of virtual reality. The term “Virtual Reality” was coined by Mr. Jaron Lanier in the year 1987.
What is Virtual Reality?
Virtual Reality is like a fantasy for everyone in our world. In straightforward technical terms, Virtual Reality is a three-dimensional environment generated by a computer. Users can explore this environment and use their brain, they can even interact with it.
Virtual Reality Applications
Gone are the days when the Virtual Reality application could be possible only in the domain of gaming. Constant technological advancements have paved a way for Virtual Reality to spread its wings in a number of new fields mentioned below:
- Film Industry
- Programming Language
- Scientific Visualization
And Facts Confirms it Solidly!
1. There are millions of active users of Virtual Reality in the world. And all of them are from different domains mentioned above. The Virtual Reality industry is now all set for blazing fast growth as the number of Virtual Reality users is expected to reach 171 million by the year 2018.
2. In the year 2015, only 0.4 million virtual reality devices were sold. But this number went on to grow dramatically and has now already reached 2.9 billion in 2017. This number is only growing and experts are expecting it to reach 5.6 billion by 2018.
3. By 2020, Virtual Reality software and hardware market will generate the revenue of 12.1 million U.S. dollars.
4. There will be almost 2 million Mobile Virtual Reality users in the world by 2020.
5. Almost 44% businesses from all the industries mentioned above are interested in Virtual Reality.
6. In the year 2016, Samsung successfully sold more than 5 million Gear VR Device units.
7. According to a report published on DC.Medill.Northwstern.Edu, military training with Virtual Reality will easily cost almost $8, 00,000. But this is just a one-time investment which will save millions of dollars for the military, air force and Navy /government of every c and air force save $1.7 billion by 2020. On the other hand, Navy will end up saving $119 billion by the same year.
8. Mobile Virtual Reality has revolutionized the entire global healthcare industry. Devices such as Google Cardboard, Gear VR, and VR One are playing a leading role in this process. Virtual Reality is now helping health care institutes and organizations reduce the cost of their medical procedures by 80%.
9. Since inception, Virtual Reality Technology has now come a long way! it is now fast spreading its wings in the domain of fashion, businesses, entertainment, sports, media, film Industry and many more industries.
Virtual Reality is Now Changing:
The whole credit goes to the Oculus Rift. Oculus Rift has played a key role in the process of bringing the concept of Virtual Reality to the consumer forefront in 2010. By the end of 2017, Virtual Reality is expected to become a business market of $7 billion. And this number will only increase because of constant growth. By the year 2021, Virtual Reality will be a cash cow for businesses throughout the world with annual revenue of $74.82 billion on a global scale.
Another report published on the website of TheSun indicates that the day is now away when a human would love to reside in computer simulations. AMD, a renowned chipmaker company, is already planning in this regard. AMD’s plan is to make Actual life and Virtual Reality totally indistinguishable. In simple words, according to Mr. Roy Taylor, the corporate Vice-president of AMD, getting to image-based reality is the next big step towards making real life and Virtual Reality indistinguishable. He said this during a Virtual Reality Conference conducted at Bristol. Moreover, AMD has now started betting big
Moreover, AMD has now started betting big on it. Acquisition of Nitero Inc. by AMD speaks volumes in this regard. This acquisition has enabled AMD to offer high-quality solution related to the Virtual Reality technology. AMD is also betting providing solutions for superfast Wi-Fi for taking Virtual Reality to next level.
Virtual Reality Knows no Bounds
And this is very clear with the application of Virtual Reality in many new fields. It is now turning out to be a good move in many walks of life in many ways. Virtual Reality is helping many autistic children deal with intolerable stress. This is all becoming possible with video game arcade based on Virtual Reality. It is changing the way people shop. In simple words, it is shaping the shopping experience of shoppers in every part of the world. People are gaining health and workforce is becoming more productive. All this confirms that Virtual Reality is a very powerful technique that does not have any limit.All in all, in one way or another, the concept of Virtual Reality is now getting more and more technological and complex. It is now benefiting businesses from every industry in all parts of the world. This is why most of the companies and organizations and governments are specifically setting up
All in all, in one way or another, the concept of Virtual Reality is now getting more and more technological and complex. It is now benefiting businesses from every industry in all parts of the world. This is why most of the companies and organizations and governments are specifically setting up a budget for the application of Virtual Reality. It is a next big thing in the domain of technology.
Vin Boris is Social Media Marketer & Content Writer at SoftProdigy.com. SoftProdigy is best app developers in NYC striving in IT industry for more than 10 years & have worked for hundreds of clients including big & small brands.